white swollen tang's eye

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by vdhillon2, Nov 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

Hi,
    i puchased a purple tang 3 days back. Its been doing well, untill today where i noticed that its left eye is swollen and white. The other eye is fine. What is it? can i treat it? i have corals in the tank, so i'm worried about the meds i can use.
    thanks for any help

vinnie

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

This is from http://www.seasky.org/aquarium/aquarium_diseases.html

I hope that it helps............... John

Bacterial Infection

Other Names: Pseudomonas,Vibrio

Symptoms: Reddened, frayed fins with open sores, rapid respiration, cloudy eyes, poor appetite, lethargy, weight loss, abdominal swelling.

Comments: This disease is usually associated with stress, sometimes brought on by poor water quality. Healthy animals can usually resist infections.

Treatment: Identify the source of stress and correct the problem. If this does not correct the problem, the animal should be treated with antibiotics in a hospital tank. Adding antibiotics to the main aquarium can kill invertebrates and damage the biological filter.

Prevention: Insure good water quality and temperature parameters to prevent animals from getting stressed. Stress breaks down the protective mucous coating on a fish and allows bacteria to gain a foothold. The use of an ultraviolet sterilizer may help prevent outbreaks of this disease.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I have used this before, It worked very well. But I used it in a quarantine tank

MelaFix®

Heals open wounds & abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water.

[​IMG]