white stuff on my anemone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Foyfamof4, Feb 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Foyfamof4

Foyfamof4 Plankton

My wife and i bought this Long Tentacle Anemone for our clownfish. It had been doing great since we bought it almost 2 weeks ago. And now its layed over on its side, and on the side of its base there is a white glob of something and I'm worried and unsure of what it is. Please Help!! Here is a picture of it now.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

Its not looking good. not sure what the glob is, Im guessing it is deteriorating. I would watch it real close, and if it is deteriorating you need to get it out asap as it can pollute your whole tank. What kind of light do you have, and how long has your tank been set up?

4. Foyfamof4

Foyfamof4 Plankton

The tank has bee set up for roughly 4-5 years and there is a sailfin tang and clownfish that have been in there the majority of that time. The lighting has 2 T8 20w 1 blue 1 white

5. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

After looking at the pic again, It looks like there may be a rip in his foot and his insides are coming out. Watch it real close, if it starts to go to mush,you need to get it out.

6. Foyfamof4

Foyfamof4 Plankton

Also it's a 35 gallon tank and nothing has changed accept we added 4 new fish when we added the anemone

7. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

That is not near enough light for an anemone. They really need t-5s or halides to thrive. People have had some success with power compacts but IMO they really need strong light to thrive.

8. Click Here!

9. Foyfamof4

Foyfamof4 Plankton

This is what it looks like now. These picture have been taken about 20 minutes apart

Attached Files:

10. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

That also is a big bio-load for a tank that size. adding 4 fish at once could have started a mini cycle, you need to test your water and see where your levels are at. you may have to do a water change to dilute the water if your ammonia is high. you may want to consider taking the fish back if you still can, if not see if someone else can take them for you until you get things straightened out in your tank. even then I don't think I would put that many fish in a tank that size. The sailfin should be in at least a 75 gal. sorry if this sounds harsh, I just really feel your tank is way overstocked and you need better lights for a nem. Your lfs should have never sold this stuff to you.

11. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

It does not look good. I would put it in a tupperwear bowl inside the tank and keep an eye on it, that way if it goes bad, it is some what contained for easy removal.

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

That anemone is pretty much dead. It is not attached to anything and is falling apart. Suck it out of your tank with a hose. If you use a net or your hand it may completely fall apart and polute your tank even more.