White stuff on inside of tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by seabass, Oct 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seabass

seabass Astrea Snail

MY TANK HAS BEEN CYCLING FOR ABOUT 1 1/2 WEEKS NOW not sure if the inside is dirty or not i have like a white film on the inside of it. I thought it might be the salt sticking to the glass. I have a scrub brush for some seems to be coming off and some isn't. I was wondering i have seem a razor type gadget at lfs will this work. the tank was clean prior to me starting up my salt water experience. Can someone help me here.
    Thanks
    Tony

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It is probably just the remnants/dust settling from the Aragonite/etc. in your tank(gravel). It should disappear eventually. You can use a sponge as well to remove it. It is normal IMO for new tanks. I have it in my new 75gallon set up.

4. seabass

seabass Astrea Snail

5. seabass

seabass Astrea Snail

Well it's been around 3 weeks tank still has that film on it i tried to scrub it with a tank scrub brush some of it came off. what can i use to remove it i plan on attempting to remove it when i do my first water change any idea will help i though about using a new green scrubby from the local super market but am afraid it will scratch the glass please help i look at the glass every night and get upset.lol :confused: :mad:

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Do not use a sponge or scrubber from the supermarket. A lot of these items contain an antibacterial agent that could wreak havok in your tank. Buy yourself a magnet cleaner and clean the glass that way or use a razor blade if the "film" is too calcerous to remove otherwise.

7. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

8. Click Here!

9. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

Simular to that you can go to ace hardware. I'm guessing home depot as well. I found a holder for the rasor blade that was 8in long and then tilted at 30 degrees. Worked perfect. Best of all it was only 0.99. Bening that it is metal I just make sure to clean the tank as quickley as possible and then a water change to cut down on contact time with the salt water.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

They sure are after you modify it to clean hard corallines That S.S blade them come with are Junk and a simple ding will render them worthless.. :)