White stringy stuff on frogspawn

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by jeffers0n, May 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

i have had this coral in me tank for 3 months now and I noticed that today it a a white kind of pimple puss like stringy stuff coming frome where the polyps meet the base. I touched it and it went back into the base with thge actual frogspawn. What is it? Is it new heads or what?
    Thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sweeper tentacle or excreting waste is my guess.

4. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

The stuff is curly and some of it was stuck to the base, or the stony part of the coral. Im not sure if I should be worried or not.:-/

5. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

sounds like sweeper tentacles :pics2:

6. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I would agree with sweepers. Did anything irritate it? That's when my frogspawn's usually come out.

7. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

if thay retracted there sweepers out looking for food thay can get quite long ive herd up to 12 inches make shure thay cant get ahold of nearby inhabitance

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

weird, ive never seen sweepers on mine. is that bad?

10. Corailline

Not something I would be worried about som3 reef3r, sometimes it happens at night. Could be a chemical cue from another coral that sets it off. I have had euphyllia that I never witnessed sweeper tentacles on and some that had them almost constantly. This is why it's so important to consider placement with regard to euphyllia, because you never know.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

well hopefully i dont get those monsterous 12" sweepers lol its weird how after i got rid of my toadstool, almost all my corals seem happier. is this what your talking about as far as chemical cues?

12. Corailline

There is some debate regarding the actual toxicity of allopathic toxins and Sacrophytons. But it makes sense that one corals would produce a chemical that would cause the withdrawal or inhibit the growth of nearby corals. At least it makes sense to me.

I have had acropora inches apart and for some reason they would start sending out defensive mesenterial filiments. This would lead me to believe that chemoreceptors played a part seeing as the corals were inches away from each other.

And yes my corals always did better in a smaller tank if no leathers were present.

:)