White star polyps

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Gaspare, Nov 9, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Hello everyone,

I purchased a piece of live rock a week ago. This rock contains a 2 inch circle of white star polyps. They just do not seem to want to open. I have performed a water test and they numbers are all good. All of my other corals are open, and my fish are doing well. Is this normal? I am running 4 - 48" flourecent bulbs(2 actinic, and 2 plant bulbs). Does anyone know how long it may take them to open. ???

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi Gaspare,

Don't know if is "normal" - but I had same experience recently with some "green star" polyps...took well over week for them to open up and get going.

Have pretty much the same lamps as you...

My problem is with a colt coral...after losing one, thought I would try again...2nd one, while living, does not seem happy. Will only stay "extended" for short periods...have tried "bright light/low light', high in tank, low in tank, lots of current, little current...

Water Params all perfect...

? - maybe some just take longer then others to "adjust"

Rgds,

OmarD

4. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Thank you for the reply. [glow=red, 2, 300]:)[/glow] I checked out some of your pictures. I think your set up looks really nice. I saw you have a clam in your tank. What type is it? and how is it doing under just florecent lighting?

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=Gaspare link=board=Coral;num=1068384105;start=0#2 date=11/13/03 at 05:22:03]I saw you have a clam in your tank.  What type is it?  and how is it doing under just florecent lighting?  [/quote]

Poor Omar! I already expressed concern for his clam in another post. Please don't run out of town! We like you here, just worried about the clam. ;) :)

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Not to worry - am not going anywhere...

Am worried about "Ms. Clam" - also...

Again, was a "beginner error" - enticed by low price from on-line fish dealer...so difficult to return.

Lightupgrade not going to happen any time soon...

So choice is let her stay & hope for best...or pull out and have a very expensive "chowder" for lunch...

Am going with choice #1 above...really, after two weeks is still looking good and seems "happy"...will nurse along as best I can until I find someone locally who has better lights who might take it... ???

OmarD

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I have a friend who had some green star polyps that took a month to open and all water parameters were fine.

8. Click Here!

9. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Thanks I have been really worried that I was doing something wrong. I was even thinking of installing 2 more flourecent bulbs to increase the light. That would bring me to a total of 6-48" lights :)

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=omard link=board=Coral;num=1068384105;start=0#4 date=11/13/03 at 10:52:06]Am going with choice #1 above...really, after two weeks is still looking good and seems "happy"...will nurse along as best I can until I find someone locally who has better lights who might take it... ???
    OmarD[/quote]

Sorry to derail thread, but Omar, if I were you I'd move that clam right up under the lights with the rock it's attached too.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I'll pay for overnight delivery if you can't find a suitable home Omar. You can pack the clam in a good clean non breakable thermos filled with tankwater and overnight it to Reno and I'll put under my MH lighting.

Gaspare,

Received my GSPs as a small frag and they opened up right away under my MH lighting. They have grown very nicely and are encrusting a rock. They have increased in size by a factor of ten over the last 10 months or year.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks for offer Craig...we all will hate to see her go, but sounds like she needs a better lighted "home" for long term survival.

Send me shipping details and I will pack up to send tomorrow.

Email: [email protected]

OmarD

(am not all that fond of clam chowder anyway...)