White spots

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Purple Tang 511, Sep 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Purple Tang 511

Purple Tang 511 Plankton

Please help! My purple tang has big white spots on his fins! Anyone know what this is??!?!?!

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Do you have a picture?

4. Purple Tang 511

Purple Tang 511 Plankton

No, sorry! I am really worried though........ of course i am reaserching on the internet and finding all these stories where the fish has these spots and is dead in the morning!! The spots are just on his bottom fins and about the size of an eraser. Please help! :)

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If they are like the size of a salt grain then its most likely Ick ( Cryptoncaryon) and if the fish is eating well and is active and not looking sick then it will slough it off .. Its that time of the year.. Since I can remember Ich seems to appear more in the fall and spring months.. have you had the fish long and what was the last addition and when was the last animal put into the tank.. Ich does not kill fish and is not the emergency people all seem to think it is..
    Now if its little bitty white spots spread out all over the fish more of a dusting ? then its more of a problem as it could be ( Amyloodinium ) is a far more serious disease and is real killer. If left un medicated it can kill with in a few hrs to a day or so... With this disease by time we see it it has been in the gills and internal organs for a good amount of time..and will spread and to eradicate it takes about 12 weeks to run its course in a host-less condition.
    All white spots where not created equally..and even with a picture its hard for the most experienced hobbyist to tell the difference. Now if its true Ich warmer temps and less stress will speed up its cycle and run its course sooner..

6. Purple Tang 511

Purple Tang 511 Plankton

Thank you, but these spots are big!! they are there for a couple hours and then they will disapper again. I have no clue what this is... I have not added any new fish or anything in along time. I have had this tang for about 1 1/2 and he has been really healthy. Now, he is not eating as much I have noticed, but he's not skinny or anything.

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Possibly a Fungal Infection

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes That would be where I'd look then some sort of parasite in there I see so many white spot problems I always start at the bottom of the list :) Thats where a copper band butterfly or some trust-able wrasse {Iffy at best} comes in nicely I like the old cleaner wrasse myself many sand sifters will also feed on them thats why a sand sifter is not a good idea in some filtration systems. .

11. Purple Tang 511

Purple Tang 511 Plankton

Well, I finally found out what it is. My purple tang has fin rot and is now in a med tank being treated. Thanks for all your help!!