White spots on Clowns and no emergency tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NYGiants, Oct 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks a lot guys, going to start slowly dropping the Salinity later today...

2. Click Here!

3. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

my blue hippo has the itch, i'm gonna use the hyposalinity treatment for my tank, im gonna uses a plastic container with a powerhead and a hang on filter to separate some live sand, rock and all invert. im gonna keep this tank for quarantine later probably ill get some light on it. my point is u dont have to have a formal tank to separate fish or invert. u may need a heater to keep temp steady for fish. somebody please correct me if im wrong.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

True, you can use a rubbermaid bin, big trash can etc. Just make sure you have something for water movement and a heater. (Also a light if you have photosynthetic stuff in there, and depending on how long it will be in there).

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nope you are correct, just need to watch parameters and do appropriate wc when needed. And make sure the heater is appropriate for the container.

6. NYGiants

Quick question everyone: I am trying to order a refractometer online but it seems like it may take easily 3-4 days before it comes in...

Is this ok for the fish? How long do I have to start treating them before its too late?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just use the hydrometer, if you have one, while you wait for the refractometer.

Are the clowns still eating ? Are they breathing heavy or hiding ? Those are all signs that they are beginning to fail. It all really depends on how old the fish are, if they were well nurished, and what other things maybe stressing them out like less than ideal parameters. Personally I would start treatment as soon as you can.

8. Click Here!

9. NYGiants

Clowns are eating as much as ever (Surprisngly!). The only new trend I've really noticed is that they are swimming more towards the top of the tank than usual and my six line keeps trying to go up to them . From what I've read it could be because the six lines pick at the white spots off of fish or something along those lines, but the clowns aren't used to the extra contact and are near the top of the tank...

I will begin the treatment asap while the refractometer comes in.

10. Darshan

Darshan Plankton

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

That article is about Ichthyophthirius which is not marine ich. What we deal with in our saltwater tanks is Cryptocaryon irritans. They are similar, but not exact. You have to be careful when you do your research that you are looking at the correct organism.

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal