White spots on Blue tang

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by TMartinez, Oct 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

I bought a Blue tang for my 90g about a month ago and it has been doing very well. I recently moved (tuesday) so I am assuming there was some stress with the move. But my blue tang has developed whites spots from nose to tail fin. They appear almost raised odd the skin. What is this? How do I treat it? Should I be extremely concerned? I just fed the tank and she's still eating and swimming around fine. Behavior hasn't seemed to have changed. Could this be a temp thing?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Hey Vinny, would a cleaner shrimp be good for this. Coincidentally I was just talking to my LFS today about buying a Blue, and he suggested getting a cleaner just because they tend to get MI on a common basis....

5. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

Here is the best pic i could get... fast don't ya know... Looks like MI to me but I've never seen it before...

Attached Files:

6. Vinnyboombatz

No cleaner shrimp will unfortunately not help with Ich. The parasite buries itself too deep. It definitely looks like Ich. What you are seeing is the final stage of the parasite.:( There are people who have had success with garlic soaked foods to keep the fish eating and healthy but it is in no way a cure.

7. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

I have a spare 10g tank. Would it be advisable to pull him out of the dt and put him into the qt with the lower salinity?

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I've heard a fresh water dip helps the fish directly, but that does not clean the tank of the parasite and you'll just get the fish back with the Site very quickly.....can anybody verify this rumor?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Do you have any other fish? The only way its gonna help is to remove all your fish and let the tank stay fallow. Also I wouldn't be a good cop if I didn't remind you that your tank is a little small for that tang.Minimum tank size is 180 they get a foot long. Stress is a major factor in diseases such as Ich.
    And yes 55fowlr dipping the fish will do nothing as the parasite will still remain in the tank.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If it were me, I would try to get by on the best foods, marine algae, selcon, garlic. The parasite is already present in the tank so unless you are going to leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks, what would be the point of treating the tang and introducing it back into the DT.

Hypo in an uncycled 10 gallon tank would be more stressful at this point IMO. The fish is eating, that is a good sign. Might be worth if you are going to leave the DT fallow, hard choice.

12. TMartinez

TMartinez Bristle Worm

Understandable... its a "grow out" fish. My wife wanted it really bad and you do some things to make her happy so you can keep spending money on the tank, ya know? Also in the tank is a Foxface Lo, Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 5 chromis, a diamond goby and a cb angel. After closer inspection I see small white dots on the fins of the foxface and yellow tang and spots on the cb face. I don't, however have a spare tank big enough to house everyone.

I only have a hand full of small coral frags. Could I take those out and put them in a friedns tank for now and try dosing/hyposalinity the dt?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.