white spots again dont know what to do

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by sexyj, Nov 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

im new to all this my yellow and blue tang started getting little white spots on there fins and some times all over there body look like it had snow but would drop of after time. the place i got it from said it was fine they can be stress fish when new to a tank but after reading on here i knew something was wrong. my bicolour angel died and iv been treating the tank with esha oodinex every 3 days with water changes everyweek after two weeks now it cleared up but this morning my blue tang got some on her fins im getting a uv sterilizer in the morning with another water change. i dont have a QT and i have inntvertebate in the tank the fish are still ok and eating and my clowns,green chromis never got it so far any ideas what to do next ?

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

This is an issue that comes up repeatedly on this forum, so you can get lots of info on it by using the Search function at the top of the page.

Basically, though, because you have inverts in your tank, you can't use any real effective medication on your tank (such as copper). You have only 2 real choices, IMO. You can purchase a quarantine tank and quarantine all your fish in it for 8 weeks, leaving your main tank fallow with only inverts in it. This will allow the ich to die off from your main tank. In the mean time, treat your fish in quarantine for 3 weeks with copper.

Your second choice is to leave your fish where they are, and keep up the nutrition. Soak fish food in a vitamin supplement, such as Selcon, or possibly in garlic. And you can try a reef-safe medication, although these are not very effective in most cases.

If I were you, I'd probably go with option #2 unless your fish start to look like they are in bad shape or start to die. If that happens, look into quarantine ASAP.

Oh, and regarding the UV sterilizer.....you will spend a lot of money on the sterilizer, and more on replacement bulbs. You can save that money by using the quarantine option. But if you choose the first option of nutrition, the UV may help somewhat.

4. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

the uv sterilizer will not get rid of ich. It will kill some of them but won't take them all out.

research ich. My recommendation is to treat it. Many others will say to improve the water quality and health and they will develop immunity. IMO that will only leave the ich there to strike another day.

If you haven't treated it it will stay in your system.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
    Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
    Aquarium Fish
    Have ICH looky here!!!!! - Reef Central Online Community

5. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

The original post noted that they already lost a bicolor angel. Beautiful fish. Sorry for the loss.

6. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Forgot about that - thanks for pointing it out. You don't want to lose more fish. Try the QT.

7. sexyj

sexyj Astrea Snail

thank you im geting the uv still and setting up a QT to day

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid