White spot

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by ngarcia11892, Nov 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ngarcia11892

ngarcia11892 Plankton

so i had ick and i put all my fish in quarintine and left my tank fallow for 8 weeks, everythings about ready to go in and showing no signs after treatign with copper but i still have a fire fish, a sail fin tang with a single white spot on both of them thats been there about a week, copper is still in the water is there anything else this could be, and i also have a watchmen goby that on his fin has like a foggy area on the edge of it, could that be ick? iv read alot about it but i wanted other opinions.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Are your copper levels residual? I mean have they fallen off from where they need to be to be effective?

4. ngarcia11892

ngarcia11892 Plankton

no if anything they maybe alittle high im using copper safe and putting as much as the bottle tells me to put in and alittle more

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

How long have you been treating them? Usually takes 3 weeks for everything to disappear. I would like to say that the spot on the fin is not ich, but I would really need to see a clear pic

6. ngarcia11892

ngarcia11892 Plankton

ill see if i can get the pic its rather small and theyv been in for 8 weeks

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

If you have been treating with copper at the recommended dose for 8 weeks, there is no way it is ich. What kind of test kit do you have for copper?

8. Click Here!

9. ngarcia11892

ngarcia11892 Plankton

no test just putting the amount hte bottle tells me and hten alittle more

10. ngarcia11892

ngarcia11892 Plankton

ok this is the best picture i could get of the goby if you look on the fins you can see it. [​IMG]

11. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Well, I hate to say this, but if you havent been testing the copper level you really have no way of knowing if it was high enough to be effective. So even after 8 weeks, ich could still be present. There are a lot of things in your tank that will soak up the copper, pvc,filter, etc. and depending on what type of copper product you are using the directions on the bottle don't really apply. and if your levels don't stay high enough and stable, then you really don't know for sure that it has been eradicated. I would highly suggest ordering a salifert copper test and find out what your levels are and dose for 2 more weeks at the accurate levels.

12. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

The answer is probably frustrating but it is true. Unfortunately, that is the best course of action you should take given the situation. Although, I'm sure you would rather be confident that everything is better before getting them back in your DT and having another outbreak.