White Spot on Purple Montipora

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by adam, Feb 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

What do you think this white spot is on the Monti. I have not moved it or anything new. Its about 8-9 inches under the MH bulb. The bulbs are only 3-4 months old

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

How long have you had him? looks like the skeleton is starting to show. Might be too bright for him, Monti's are really not all that light demanding. I would try him a bit lower and see his reaction.

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

He has been at that spot for about 2 months and looked great until today. Would it take that long for that too happen because of lighting? I can move him over to the corner more about the same number of inches from under the bulb but he would not be so directly under the bulb. I would put him where the pink birdsnest is in the pic

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I would just keep an eye on it....you have good growth all around it..the edges you can see growth marks.

Have you placed anything else in the tank recently....anything else not looking right?

You could frag that little section off...or just watch it and make sure it doesnt get any bigger. If it starts to get bigger FRAG it quickly....as it could be RTN

Other then that one spot I think it looks healthy and has nice color!

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

If I were to frag it how would I go about it? The white part is inside of the Monti? I read this happens from sudden heat rises. The tank is now 80 instead of 79. Would that cause it?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

just use some bone cutters and it looks like it is raised up off the remainder of the coral. Clip the white part into the healthy tissue (take it out of the tank...carefully ;D) But it should be easy to just snip the raised area..if you cant get to it cleanly, clip down the middle of the white then go to right and left. It wont take much to get it off.....but remember it is a fragile coral so be careful and go slow. Worse case scenerio you have some new frags

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Pic in w lights on

This is the Monti this morning

Attached Files:

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks like you might have montipora eating nudibranchs. Do you have a magnifying glass?

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

No but that white you see is the superglue I put on the area that I cut out. It should grow with time over that part.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Adam I thought I posted last night ? maybe I did not hit post or it was in reply to a P/M ? But get a good large magnifying glass and look at tose montis well I have to say it looks like the way the nudies start out on a open type monti had it been larger and or if it has any deep recesses in the base then thats where they lay their egg masses and or on the underside where the coral is white , If you can get a good close up of a new area less any super glue post it or send it to me . But I swear that looks like to me the monti eating Nudi's it really does and I hate to say it even.... If that is the case ? there is little to do but chuck the entire coral and wait for them to starve out. The egg mass is white and very very very small pin tip size and 100's of eggs in that little mass . Ad once they are on the prowl the coral can been seen to being eating it hourly like a little white patch in the evening and that patch will be nickle or quarter size in a day or so..