Urgent White spot on green leather soft coral

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jeffreysliva, Jun 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeffreysliva

jeffreysliva Plankton

We are new enthusiasts, since late March. We've had no major issues. This afternoon, I noticed a white spot (nickel-sized) on the side of the green leather that seems to be causing it to tilt. I will try to post pics, please let me know what you think.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

The pic will definitely help! Also post your water parameters, specially alkalinity, pH, ammonia and nitrates.

It sounds like it's dying, but it's hard to tell without the pic. Is this spot on the side of the stem or where?

4. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

There are different things it could be. I'm sure someone here will be able to help once a picture is posted.

5. N3MATOCYST

N3MATOCYST Spaghetti Worm

it could be a sting mark, could be splitting, if dirty mucous sat on it or whatnot, a nudibranch.... so many things.... we need a picture!

6. jeffreysliva

jeffreysliva Plankton

I had trouble posting pics but will continue to try. The latest water parameters I have are 5/11/11:
    pH: 7.8
    NH: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    We had a worm that we caught and discarded but there may be another one present. We have no fish, just hermit crabs and snails. We also have one frogspawn, an acan, an accordia(?), mushroom mix frag; they all appear to be doing fine.
    Thanks for the input, again, I'll keep trying to get the pics uploaded.

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

IT could be ok, but we really need a picture. Leathers are very hardy so it probably still has a chance. Also the coral is not an accordia it is a ricordea ;)
    Good Luck and POST A PICTURE
    JJL

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

Photobucket account, is free, upload images from your computer to photobucket and paste the link into your post.

10. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

So.... what corals do you have close to the leather? Parameters seem fine except for your pH that is on the low side. 8 to 8.4 is usually preferred. If you add buffers, it can bring your alkalinity up quite a bit.
    I did not see an alkalinity reading, if you have an alkalinity test kit, test the water and post the results too. My guess is that if you don't use buffers it will be on the low side, if you do use buffers, alkalinity will more than likely be higher.

11. jeffreysliva

jeffreysliva Plankton

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I can not see the growths on the leather in the images. Tank looks great though.

I have had a lot of leather corals and I can not think of what it may be that is nickle sized and showed up over night. They do get patches of algae growth but they do not make them tilt, usually that is related to flow or acclimation.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Curious do you have any new snails like Nerite?