White Sponge or Fungus???

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Reef4life, Jun 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Hey everyone I have this white stuff growing all over my rocks I have no idea what it might be. I thought it might be some sponges or is it a fungus?? The weird thing is that is starting to grow around my corals between my zoas. The water parameters have all been in line with no fluctuations, stable tank. Anyway I tried taking some pictures if you guys have any ideas that would be great!!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That's a sponge... harmless filter-feeder.

4. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

Thanks Bill!!!! Do u know any way to get rid of it? Anything that would eat it? I know if it is a sponge and u expose it to air and put it back in the water you should be able to get rid of it... but I can really do this to all the LR.

5. Mr. Bill

I believe pigmy angels and some tangs may nibble at it. Just curious, why would you want to? Their not only harmless, but beneficial to your system.

6. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

I dont know I was just a bit worried that it was growing around some corals...worried it might over-run them.

On a different note if you dont mind, I uploaded two more picture of what i am guessing are bristle worms but not quite sure, this lil arms come out of all my LR when I feed..Are they worms? Cause i never see them coming out just the lil legs. Should I worry about it??

Thank you so much for the help!

Attached Files:

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Those are micro brittle star arms.

Bristle worms, the brittle stars and sponges are all harmless and considered a sign of a healthy tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

+1

Exactly.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I've got experience with this blasted sponge (if it's the same, looks to be from the pic). I don't agree with Mr. Bill, this sponge will over run some corals. It got introduced in my tank from a frogspawn frag I got from reefpets/eBay some time back. (b4 they were 3reef sponsors; I've ordered from them since, I still think they are good merchant)

If you have blasto, keep them away from this crap! It will kill heads. It also killed my yellow star polyps. GSP fought back and won, but the GSP was very well established at the time.

It grows up the bony stalk of my frogspawn but keeps a nice distance of about half cm from the flesh. Frogspawn wins, blasto loses. It seems to thicken up in shady areas and retreats in high light.

You can not scrub it away, it will come back. You can kalk paste it, and from what i can tell, it won't grow over the kalk paste that hardens later but it will go around later. You can nuke the rock (I had to nuke several to bring it under control). Or you can expose it to air. I do the air trick nowadays to keep it under control.

I had tried a coral beauty for just this sponge but it wouldn't touch it...

11. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I had this same stuff in my aquapod and didn't have any issues with it touching corals, because it only grew in the shadows (backside of LR). It definitely wouldn't come out into the "light"