White specks on a powder brown tang.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by stepho, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Hey everyone.

My powder brown tang has some white specks on him. It doesn't appear to be his skin turning white, but rather it looks like little specks of sand on him. I just added a cleaner shrimp so I am hoping he will go over there and get cleaned up. My sailfin is the only one that has gotten comfortable with the cleaner so far.

here is a picture
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

That's ick, a cleaner shrimp is a great idea! Hope it builds up it's immune system, stays healthy and keeps eating! Nice fish there!

4. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

is he swimming in green tea?

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

lmao. No. That is a combination of a bad white balance from my camera, and green water. My light bulbs were way over due for a changing, I changed them today.

Ick? :( :( :(

I hope he gets better. He is my favorite fish. I am trying to get a Neon Goby too, but the local fish store has been out of stock of them.

Is there anything else I should do? I have a couple soft corals I just added today, so copper is out of the question.

How long does it take ick to develop? I didn't notice that on him yesterday. I added a base rock today so I had the lights off a little longer, and had to move around the rock work. Would that have stressed him enough to cause ick? and would it have developed so fast?

Nh3 - 0
    No2 - 0
    No3 - 0

6. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

no, that's mountain dew. lol

7. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

Tangs are the poster children for ick!

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yup...keep your params good and your fingers crossed. Powder browns come in two varieties and you have the white cheek, which is the tougher of the two. I had one go down with Ick. Then I got my Yellow tang. Got ick. Did a formalin dip and it pulled through. Pretty harsh technique, but it does work. Be careful if you go that route. The treatment can kill the fish also.

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

11. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Ok so I ran over to the LFS as soon as they opened, and they recommended "NO-ICH" produced by FishVet, Inc. out of dayton OH. Says it is safe for reef tanks, and it will not harm inverts. "...Active ingredient 5-Nitroimidazoles."

It is still night time in the tank so I can't see in very good, but when the powder brown swims over to the glass near me it doesn't look like he has any specks on him anymore. Do they bury into the skin or did my cleaner take care of it?

On the bottle of NO-ICH it recommends dosing every day until they spots disappear and then every other day after that. So should I dose every day or every other day?

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

ick will live in fish and in gills usualy in morning looks better then evening. just cause there are no spots don't mean fish don't have ick.