White Purple tip Anemone

Discussion in 'Coral' started by kerry2009, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kerry2009

kerry2009 Plankton

Can anyone help, i bought a white anemone 2weeks ago. i have good lighting for a anemone. i thought it should find a spot and move around the tank mine just seems to roll and is not attached to anything. it shrinks and puffs up is this normal. to day it didnt look well, so i moved it up to a shelf where it would have good light and flow, there is some sort of discharge coming out of it regularly:-/

2. Click Here!

3. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

This could be good or bad news. It is odd it is moving around so much. Shrinking and puffing up is normal, as is discharge (this is how they crap lol). Most people think theirs are dying when they do this. The fact that all of this is happening at once makes me wonder though. If it feels mushy or looks to be melting then it may be a bad sign. Otherwise it may just be acclimating until it finds its good spot.

4. reefchaos

reefchaos Flamingo Tongue

To be honest... i experienced the same thing... and it died 4 days after. nems are pretty hard to keep... harder then coral. seems like you have the sabae nem.. pretty difficult.. ur water must be in check...

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

We need more details. Tank size, height, lighting, water perameters and what kind of anenome is it. These are very delicate creatures that depend on a lot of different conditions being just right to survive. The anenome not attaching to anything and just rolling around the tank is definately not a good sign. You may consider trying to get it back to your LFS if you dont think you have the right conditions in your tank.

6. kerry2009

kerry2009 Plankton

just done a test and for the first time my high range ph is 8.4 it has been 8.0 the past 5weeks, could this be the prob. my tank is a 240L and the lighting is one blue light and 1 T8 40w and 2 led strip light i had to buy extra for anemone

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

take the anemone back....you do not have enough lighting for it, esp seabea. It is going to die in that tank. Problems I see is:
    1. how old is your tank.....5 weeks? An anemone requires very stable parems and nobody with a tank under 1 year should ever consider having one.
    2. Your lights are not strong enough...period. Require MH...T8 40W lights esp will not do anything for it, and LED strip lights unless you spend a ton of money, talking a couple thousand dollars will not be enough.

So..... a few other questions need to be answered.
    1. How old is your tank? is it only 5 weeks?
    2. What is your ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, SG, KH, phosphate levels, etc
    3. How much flow is in your tank

If your anemone is white, chances are it has lost all of its zooanthalia and is going to die. Should be cream color, not white. White is not a good thing

The anemone is dying and it can nuke your tank! Return that right away.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

A fully white enenome takes a lot to nurse back to health. Schackmel is right take it back as quick as you can. There is no way it will survive this setup.

10. estr5160

estr5160 Plankton

Purple tip sea anemone

i got my purple tip anemone yesterday and it was doing great it is a small one not so big but i bought it for my small clowns and when it was time to turn the lights off well i turned them off and the anemone started to shrink and its stayed like that as i am writing this is. it started shrinking like 10 min ago and now its really small compared to its regular size it shrunk like twice the size could you please tell me whats going on if its going to survive thank you
    75 Gallons tank
    40 lbs live sand
    25 lbs live rock(maybe more)
    2 false percula clown
    1 blue tang
    1 yellow tang
    1 sand cleaning fish ???
    i have ocean sun lightning they told me it was good lighting
    everything in my water is great
    water temperature is 80-82 degrees
    saltanity is 1.26
    [​IMG]

11. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

this is a condy anemone, it is most common because of the low price and that lures unwary aquarists to buy it. it will eat your fish! the lighting is enough because these anemones rely more on feedings that light. but even so if your tank is under a year old i would just bring it back.

12. mazaj

mazaj Feather Duster

i have seen here someone with condy hosting a clown. but as i read somewhere your clown needs an anemone as much as you need hair spray.