White powder/film in my new tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Leafer, Mar 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Leafer

Leafer Plankton

Hello all....
    I am extremely new to all this, and this might seem pretty winded but I’m just trying to explain it all
    I just started my 1st Saltwater Marine Tank
    Its 75g
    I started about 2 weeks ago

I am going really slowly with this tank as I am learning as I go...
    I’ve run into something I can’t seem to find out what it is so I thought I would ask you all.
    I have only put 40 gal so far into my tank and added the salt (IO) 1/2 cup per gallon as it said on the pale.

I only had one power head going at that time it was a Maxi-Jet 600 Power Head
    And had the heater set and running at 77-78

The tank after a few days went totally clear and was getting ready for the next step...except 1-2 days after that I checked it out the tank and noticed that all sides including the bottom was coated with this white film almost like it was the salt not mixing or something....

So from there I scrapped it off all the sides and the bottom and off the heater and the power head and it was pretty chunky (my neighbor who also has a marine tank said he has never seen this before) so the chunks started breaking down a bit and he just figured it was the salt as well and needed more current to help mix it up...so I added another power head...a Hydor Koralia 3 - 850GPH

After another few days with this current going it has broken up all those chunks (I tried to post some pics but the forum only allows a very small attachment and you cant see a thing) it has turned into a fine film on the top of the water and fine powder on the bottom...it’s no longer sticking to the sides or anything but it is still all there and not going away..Just getting swished around

Any help would be great
    Not sure if I did something wrong or not...but Im at a pretty basic part right now and couldn’t of messed up that bad ahah

Thanks!
    Rob

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi Rob!
    Welcome to 3reef first of all!
    As for you dilemna, it seems as if you are having a problem with precipitation of calcium in your tank.
    What do you have as far as equipment on your tank?
    Why are you only filling your 75 gallon tank with 40 gallons of water?
    What do you have in your tank besides the water and salt?

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

I hope I'm not asking for too much: could you post your water parameters?! Especially pH and KH?!

5. Leafer

Leafer Plankton

Well, I was keeping it low just so when I start to aquascape and add some live rock I wouldn't have to drain it back and forth...so I was keeping it somewhat low to test it and get the mixture right and temp right.

All I have in there is the two power heads and the heater

I don't have those reading yet so I cant give them to you..I guess Ill go buy a kit for that and check those...

If it is calcium (too much?) how is that controlled?

I do not have RO water, I am getting it in 5 gal tanks from my local supermarket, it is Natural Spring water

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

You definitely will want to test your water, though at the present time you do not have any live rock, sand or livestock to make it even more important to do!

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Leafer, it sounds like you might have just dumped the Instant Ocean into your tank and didn't go the extra step to see to it that it got dissolved. I've experienced this issue in the past. If the IO is simply dumped into the tank, it can sort of cake up. It's like if you've ever baked a cake and added flour to the batter; but didn't beat that flour into the liquid portion, it forms a sort-of shell.

Next time, when adding salt to water, be sure to stir well, or agitate in some fashion so that the powder is at least moving within the liquid.

By the way, I've seen this whitish powdery substance on the glass before, and it's most likely just a result of poor mixing.

For what it's worth, it's not a calcium issue, unless you're adding calcium this early in the game--which you're probably not.

8. Click Here!

9. Leafer

Leafer Plankton

Ya I am not adding any calcium at all

I would poor a 1/2 cup in at a time kind of in front of the power head so it would get mixed up, thats why I don't get it if its that. Im sure it is mixed just fine..

Should I empty this 40g and just start over? since I don't have any live rock yet anyways?
    I was hoping to start this week with getting some live rock in there and start the curing process
    I'm going to try and post some pictures of it so you can see what I mean
    If it is calcium build up, what could it be coming from since all I am adding is spring water and IO.
    And if it is just undissolved IO why after adding another power head it wont mix?

10. Leafer

Leafer Plankton

There added some pictures....
    1st tank seemed fine salt mixed..

Then about 2-3 days after
    was like one morning I woke up
    and the sides and everything were caked with this white stuff
    I scrapped it all off added another power head and its all broken down and not sticking anymore but just swirling around on top and bottom of tank

11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I would not stress and dont change out the water.
    it can be as much as just undisolved salt, first thing you want to do is get a hydrometer to measure the salinity of the water. around 1.024 is the norm.
    ARe you going to go with a bare bottom with this tank or will you add sand?
    I think that your trouble will be gone in a few more days add the sand and agitate the surface of the water.

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

+2 on that.