white particles in water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by sterling, Jan 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

hey everyone, This isn't so much an emergency, but i didn't know where else to post this. My 29g biocube constantly has white particles floating around in the water. They are very tiny. I don't know exactly what they are but it bothers me. The water is clear nonetheless and everything is doing well. I think it may be tiny partciles of the live sand, but im not sure. Does anyone have any ideas as how to remove the particles or what they could be? thanks very much

2. Click Here!

3. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

I said this on another post but I too noticed particles in my tank and thought filter system was bad. I just came to the conclusion after watching some reef videos that that was normal and must be small life. Now I can't say 100% this is what you have but it sure sounds like it.

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Could be a couple things. If the tank is new, it could be particles of sand, and if this is the case, then this will clear up soon. Could also be microbubbles. It could be what 10acrewoods said too. Its a vague enough description that I'm not very sure.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Check your CA, MG, and DKH levels. It could be CA precipitation.

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I had the same issue, and still have a little bit of it, I really helped it by putting a filtersock (I used a knee high pantyhose) on the drain pipe. If you do this you have to clean it often though!

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Simply cut the pumps off allow the water to settle down for 1/2 and then look in there if its a cavation or vacuum issue with a pump then you will know where to star looking . If its sand then you can see it if its calcium starting to bind up then it will still be there and a white dusting will settle on the rocks .. Like mentioned check the alk Mag and ca and see what you have there..

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I always have some. Some are bubbles. The larger ones in my tank are actually astraea snail eggs. I never woryy about it. I use no mechanical filtration except protein skimming and the chaeto algae in my fuge.

10. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

OH NO NOT ANOTHER POST ABOUT WHITE DOTS!!!

Sterling, I have the same problem, I believe mine are calcium precipitating out of the water. It is very apparent when I add freshly mixed salt water, as in a water change. Right now I am on the path of getting more reliable test kits (Salifert) for Alk, Mg, and Ca along with a change in brand of salt (from Reef Crystals to Tropic Marin Reef pro).

Onjinsan

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Possibly particulate matter suspended in your water, gametes or food(snow). Efficient skimming and carbon, water changes and the possible set up of a canister or hang on filter with media to remove larger matter.

12. suzyblue

suzyblue Plankton

white dots

I have them too and the fish don't like them. They are like pin***** sized extremely tiny white dots float around seemingly concentrating where the filter return and protien skimmer return is. I want to get rid of them completely and I can't find an answer as to how to get rid of them anywhere. I just tried to take a picture but it doesn't show up on my camera. It looks just like the picture in this thread though.