white gunk when pump is turned off and on

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bawest, Nov 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

I have been running my tank for 6 months now and the power went out this weekend for a second. When the power came back on, there was a bunch of white things floating out of the pipe. They looked like tiny feathers that were swimming around in the water. I turned the pump off and back on and then my tank was filled with these white things.

What are they and are they a problem? Has anybody else seen this hapen before? Do I need to take my pipes out and clean them?

2. Click Here!

3. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

sounds like coepods too me.without a pic cant tell you.but are they are good if it is them.

4. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

Sounds like some sort of pods or something more then likely a good thing then bad. Pictures would help.

5. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

I didn't take pictures because they didn't seem like they were moving. It was more like feathers floating around in the tanks

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

My return pump from my sump does the same time everytime it shuts off.. I just thought it was some type of pod like everyone else was saying....

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

When was the last time you cleaned out that pump? I have never seen that in my systems.

8. Click Here!

9. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

I cleaned out the pump, it didn't have anything in it. It's gotta be in the pipes.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Did you have any snails get through the intake to the pump??

11. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Otty, i had a snail get into the intake of my Oceanrunner 3500 thats on a closed loop.....man the hermits were feasting, and i had a 50% water change scheduled that evening........

12. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

There aren't any snails in the sump.

If this was a snail, it was one hell of snail because there was a lot of this stuff come out. It didn't cloud the water, it just floated around..... It looked like the fish had had a pillow contest that went bad.

When my wife gets home with the camera, I'll turn the pump off and take a picture when it comes back on.