White fuzzy algae growing in my rocks

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kevin_E, Jun 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

In another thread we came to the conclusion that I am still at the tail end of my cycle. My nitrates are in the "okay" range on test strip but no where near the ideal area.

Every other aspct of my tank is perfect. No ammonia or nitrites. Perfect salenity, temperature etc.

Anyways, my question is what kind of algae is this and can it become a large problem?

I also have these little balls of what closely resembles a spiders baby pouch. Are these snail nests?

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Do you have a picture? Normally, "fuzzy" usually equates to fungus or bacterial outbreak, not really algae.
    If they are round and have an open part like a tube, it might be a pineapple sponge. It's hard to say without a positive picture though.

4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I have something that looks like a very fine fuzz on the underside of some of my base rocks... never figured out what it is.

The "spider eggs" are most likely pineapple sponges. If they have very fine translucent inverted cones sticking out of the top that's what they are.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Ya thanks.

They are indeed sponges. I have quite a few sponges evidently.