White Fur Everywhere!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by ishimoto6, Sep 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ishimoto6

ishimoto6 Plankton

Hi. I have one tiger oscar and one pleco in the same tank. The tiger oscar has had a few weird spots which have turned into HITH although he is acting fine and eating normally. And the pleco has severe tail rot, i believe this is from stress as the oscar likes to chase him around the tank. I have been doing everything that my local pet store has suggested. I have had my water tested and it is fine. I have been vacing the tank every other day and giving them metafix once a day.

The other night out of no where this white fur has started to grow. The strangest part is that it isn't on the fish. It is on everything else. The cave, the gravel, the walls, everything. I dont' know it is. My local pet store had never heard of it before. They thought it might be a fungus, but if that is the case the metafix should have prevented it. I have tried to vac as much of it up as I can but it just wont go away. Since then I have taken all the decorations out of the tank and cleaned them with hot water and let them air dry, I took out some of the unnecessary gravel, syphoned the rest of the gravel as much as posible, and out everything back in. I have also taken the filters out and have been giving them pimafix for about three days. After all of that, the very next day all the "fur" was back.

Does anyone know what it could be? Please help me, I am desperate. What could it possible be?

Mimi

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

4. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

test the water you use , are there any detergents getting into the system at all?? post asome pics of this algae so we can check it out

welcome to 3reef!!!:)

5. ishimoto6

ishimoto6 Plankton

I have alredy had the water tested. Everything is fine with the water. At the moment I have found a marine biologist helping me through another forum. Thank you for your help.

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

well keep us posted on what your friend comes up with!!!