white fog after water change

Discussion in 'Salt' started by patrice, Feb 21, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. patrice

patrice 3reef Sponsor

hi! i do the exact same thing in two different tank and I only got that problem in one tank. :confused:

to water change the 80g, I mixt the water, salt and ph buffer in a garbage can. I mixt it using a power head. dont know why, the water turn white: a hudge fog that will last for a few hours.
    I do the exact same thing in my 10g without problem.

do you have any idea why it does this?

2. Click Here!

3. APC

APC Gigas Clam

What kind of buffer are you using? Some buffers, like Kent Marine, require that you mix them in freshwater first, and then pour the solution into the salt water. I have found that if you put the buffer in directly to saltwater, it will cause the water to cloud. Not sure if that is your issue, but something to look into anyway

4. patrice

patrice 3reef Sponsor

I have to visit that tank today so I'll have a look to the buffer we use. thx

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Could be the salt you are using too. Instant ocean has a fog to it when you mix it up. I quit using it because of that. I set up a QT bare bottom with nothing in it, I mixed the salt directly in the tank, and there was a haze until I ran a HOB filter, and it was gone in a hour after i put the filter on it.

6. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

What is the water parameters of each tank? Sound like something is participating out due to low or high ca,mag, or alk. Compared to the fresh Salt Water make up. Ran into the same thing when switching back to Tropic Marin from TM Pro Reef. The regular versions Calcium was some much higher it did the same thing in my 50 gallon, but not in the 20 gallon. So I just got my level closer to the fresh mixed salt and it went away.

7. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

The fog is probably tiny crystals floating in the water -- either salt or buffer -- they will eventually disolve. As you discovered, Geekdafied, the crystals disolve better with more water movement.

8. Click Here!

9. Marlin65

Marlin65 Astrea Snail

You have to mix your salt to water.
    If you mix your water to salt it does not dissolve properly.
    Don't remember exactly why but something to do with you CA levels being to high as your CA is tied to your salinity. Higher salinity higher calcium.
    It will not dissolve over time and can accumulate in the aquarium.
    If you want to know why I will have a look and see if I can find out exactly what it said.
    Not sure if this is what you are doing but if you are that could be your problem.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Maybe dissolved organics or turbidity stirred up with the water change process. Sediment and detritus may also be stirred up possibly...

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'm thinking it might be calcium precipitating out of solution. I know from using Instant Ocean that when properly mixed, it has a calcium level of about 400ppm. Could it be that your tank's calcium is high enough, or the difference b/w the pH of the newly mixed water and the tank water are such that calcium is coming out of solution once mixed?

This may explain why it happens only in one of your two tanks.

Do you check and try to match the pH of the mixed water and the tank water before combining?

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

why are you buffering the new water?