White fiber in my canister

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by coral_freak, Jan 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral_freak

coral_freak Astrea Snail

Hey y'all . I just got a new canister filter last week, and today I cleaned my media I it and seen some white fiber looking material in the bottom of the canister. I cleaned it out and primed in back up, out shot more of this white fiber looking stuff . Anyone know what it is? It happened once before in my old canister

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Got a picture? Hard to say without one(for me anyways).

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I know what you're talking about, but don't know what it is. It could be sponges if it's "rooted," and appears motionless in the flow--or it could be "gunk" for lack of a better term, if it waves in the current.

In replacing my sump/skimmer/pump, I unfortunately left the tank with no turnover for 48 hours. In that time, my trumpet coral started to die. I had cloudy water for weeks, with no clue of the culprit. Once I ditched the trumpet, the water became crystal clear again. While the water was cloudy during this period of coral death, I had this stranded looking junk inside my koralias. It looked like cotton candy.

I know now not to underestimate the ability of a coral to exude crap when things are not going well.

Anyways--if your tank is doing well, then it's probably nothing to be concerned about. If you're having other problems, it could be stringy garbage from decay.

5. s10lowrider1994

s10lowrider1994 Feather Duster

Our Ehiem does the same thing its just built up gunk either in the filter or in the tubes. We were running without the prefilter on the inlet and alot of what we were feeding got sucked into the filter to rot away and be spit back out at a later date.