white cotton

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hitman35, May 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have some white cotton like sack things growing anyone have a clue on what they might be.They are kind of small so I cant really get a good pic of them but they are growing on my heater suction cup. An inside my empty powerhead filter adapter. Can someone please help me out if this description is enough to describe what I might have growing.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

4. hitman35

they do fairly resemble those sponges but 1 do sponges just grow and 2 they kinda look like they kind of have small fan like heads kinda like fan worms but not really pertruding like fans worms.Also are they something to worry about

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What I'm thinking about are commonly referred to as "pineapple sponges" because they resemble the fruit. Is that the case with your sponges? If that's what you've got, then they're completely harmless.

6. hitman35

this is exactly how they look there a crap load of them sponge02.jpg

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yup, pineapple sponges. Their numbers will reduce eventually though as they run out of particulate matter to eat....unless you're feeding a lot of phytoplankton that is :)

8. Click Here!

9. hitman35

well I am using phyto for my other filter feeders so I dont know how I am going to eliminate them.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You really don't have to eliminate them. If anything, they'll help filter your water. They tend to grow in the lower lit areas of your tank so they shouldn't become an eyesore.

11. hitman35

alright thats the answer I needed good to keep em then thats fine with me you wouldnt happen to know how they come about would they have had to come in on a rock or is there something else thats fueles there growth

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They usually come in on live rock. I've had them come in on the rock that corals are attached to as well.