White corraline???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rbok, Oct 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rbok

rbok Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok, so some of my purple corraline that was growing seems to be turning white in some places. I doesn't look like it is dying, it is really think white and a nice milky color. Is this normal, I am kind of concerned. All perams are fine and have been since forever. Has anyone seen this before or is there something I could be missing? Thanks!
    Ryan

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Coralline comes in a lot of different colors. You're lucky, I'm trying to figure out how to get mine to do that.

4. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

could be normal check water params and post em. im sure one of the reef geniuses will tune in

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

magnesium, calcium and alkalinity levels being depleted is one of the main causes of coralline going white

as is pouring boiling water on it when cleaning a power head etc - that also causes the coralline to die off

exposure to air will also do that, live rock out of water for to long will result in the rock turning white when placed back in tank

if the parameters mentioned above are corrected , new coralline will encrust over the white stuff

Steve

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Mine did that and then after a week or so turned purple again. I don't know why...but it's fine now! It might have been exposure to air, as I had recently brought the pieces home from the LFS.