While were going over plans...new sump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by EmagdniM, Aug 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

Ok, so sorry for making 2 threads so close together so fast but Im also working on this project so I figured Id get input here as well. Im redesigning my sump because my current one did not come with a skimmer and the section for the skimmer is only 5" wide...so I dont have enough room for most good skimmers. My plan is to use an empty 10gallon I have laying around to create the work of art below. I wish I could do a 20L for the tank and add a refugium, but I only have 11" of width to work with thanks to the design of my stand and its center bracing. Still, I only lose 1-2 gallons of water capacity with the 10g, so its not that bad.... but yea, hows this look to you sump guru's out there? Does anyone know of a refugium that is only 10" long? Id love to add a hang on or something. Maybe Ill just get a small 5 gallon and figure out a way to plumb em together? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Nannook

Nannook Astrea Snail

Looks good, and yes if you could hang your skimmer outside would be fine. I used a 10 gal as refugium for a while, with skimmer outside the fuge. Even if you use your present design and put some more LR around the skimmer. With a Reef tank less rock is ok, but with fish you want the extra LR as much as possible.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

My fuge section is only 10" x 12", but I am using a 30 Gal for my sump/fuge. I'd try a HOB Skimmer with a bigger fuge/return.

5. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

Do you guys have any recommendations on good HOB skimmers? Do these work as well as an in sump skimmer like the v100 I plan on getting? Id really like to not skimp on this as it seems to be pretty important. If Im able to add a fuge in the middle instead of having it house the skimmer, is live rock still necessary? Thanks again for the replies!

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Honestly, I would take an excellent skimmer over a fuge and less effective skimmer anytime. Go with your current skimmer choice and plumb a small tank into the suystem at a future time. I ran my 75gallon with just a SWC Xtreme 160 Cone and no fuge for months. I also ran my 50 gallon with a hang-on skimmer on a wet/dry. The in sump skimmer are easier to work with and do a much better job than hang-ons skimmers.

If you really wanted a fuge, I would turn the input side of your sump into a small fuge. Take some of the rock out and add some macro algae. Go to lowes and buy a small 15PAR LED bulb or 12" t5 undercabinet light. These will keep light dispersion down and you will have your good skimmer and a fuge.

7. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

hmmm....can you get a bigger tank for your sump? i would get one as big as will fit. custom arcrylic? i honestly dont see the 10G working that well for you. and if your only "losing" 2 gallons thats not much room for error if the power goes out and your return siphons a bit. sorry for being a downer, but i like the HOB skimmer(Remora is good) and nice fuge idea best.

8. Click Here!

9. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

A custom acrylic was an idea...but I have a feeling that would cost a tiny bit...heh. I really wish I could just use a 20L and be over with it but thats def. not an option. Maybe Ill talk to the LFS and see what theyd charge to make me one. If not, I kinda like the route metal suggested....I might try that and see how it works...

10. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

What about using two ten gallon tanks...one on one side as a setup as a sump like I have above, or similar...and one next to it as a fuge that sits a few inches higher that is drilled with a bulkhead that empties into the sump? The sump would receive 100% of the flow, the fuge would be fed by a small pump from the chamber containing the skimmer. I dont have anything drawn up yet, Ill do that...but think this could work? I got a good deal on an AquaC EV180 so I took it and figured Id adjust my plans to fit it....so yea...lol

11. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

12. EmagdniM

EmagdniM Astrea Snail

ooook. Ill give it a shot then...thanks for all the input!