Which would be the best filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by NanoMano, Nov 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

My cat broke my sump.... bugger. anyways I cant afford a new sump (YAY)...
    I have a 20 gallon standard nano reef, which would be the better filter for hang on back
    Aquaclear
    FLuval C3-C4
    Or Marineland Emperor
    Ideally I would love to have a sump, but knowing my cat, I would rather not risk it again I have a hob protein skimmer as well

2. Click Here!

3. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

id say probably marineland emperor for good+cost effective but fluval is probably #1 out of what you have listed...you could also try a hob fuge....but if you cant afford a sump why not check out CL for some cheap tanks or someone giving one away and make it into a sump or even just use a 5 gallon bucket or rubbermaid tupperware?

4. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Marineland's are awful for SW. Something about the water really lessons their lifespan a lot. They are also noisy and if the pump goes you have to buy a whole new filter instead of just a new pump with the hagen stuff. I would go with the C4 or the aquaclear 50.

5. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

I would go with neither. With enough LIve Rock in the system and a big enough skimmer, you don't need a filter. They will in the long run, cause you trouble with Nitrates.

6. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

Yeah I've heard that before, but I replace my cartridges regularly on all my tanks, for that reason. and also I'd feel a bit safer with one, on top of not having enough flow with out it

7. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I have an aqua clear 30 on mine... atm, it has a mangrove in it, i may add some chaeto again to it.. I have the right light to grow it now.

8. Click Here!

9. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

thanks I think I might do an aquaclear, anyone tried the fluvals?

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree fully. Mechanical filters in general for sw are a bad idea. They can't handle the harsh environment regardless what the mfg claims.

You said your sump broke. What part? If it's the sump itself a regular 5 or 10 gal tank will do the trick. Install a few baffles and you'll have a great sump.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

11. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

the tank itself broke, and I dont feel like going through the trouble to have my cat break it again. its only a 20 gallon reef so I think I will go HOB