Which way to upgrade?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Reef Ghost, Oct 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Ghost

Reef Ghost Plankton

Hello everyone, have a lighting question for those of you who have greater experience than myself. My 90gal reef tank currently has a Nova Extreme 4x54 216watt light and I want to upgrade the lighting. Nova has a 8x54 432watt and I was also looking at the Outer Orbit 2x150mh with T5 combo of 516watt. My tank has 120lbs of LR, several soft corals (1/2 of which are kept higher up for stronger lighting) and an xlg GBTA all of which are doing fine but I think an upgrade is in order. Have any of you done such an upgrade?

1) Would the Outer Orbit 516watt be over kill and possibly burn my corals?

2) Regardless of which way I go what is the proper procedure to acclimate everything in the tank with stronger lights?

2. Click Here!

3. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

I think the 8x54 watt T-5's will do fine. You won't burn your soft corals or Anemone with 150 watt MH's. My Xenia and Toadstool love my 250's.

4. Reef Ghost

Reef Ghost Plankton

Thanks, I have spent hours reading back posts ... going blind! Anyway, I think the T5's will be fine also, I dont seem to have anything in my tank to justify the cost of MH atleast not at this time.

1 person likes this.
  5. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

Keep us updated with what lighting set up you get. I think 150 MH only penetrate 18" and 250 go 24" and 400 for 30".