Which to buy first?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by allenmay8, Jan 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Since it is FOWLR skimmer first. Do not count on the water from the LFS being good with out testing it yourself. You do not know what the maintenance schedule is on their RO/DI unit or when they last changed filters.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I am surprised we're not all in agreement.

Since it is a given you are getting both, I would say get the RO/DI first as you can use that right away.

There's no point in skimming until after you've cycled.

(are you cycling w/the puffers? if yes, I'd say setup a quarantine tank first for them while you cycle, then get skimmer, then get RO/DI in that order).

4. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

y not get them used? and get both :)....even if you have to replce rodi cartriges you could do it for $200....

5. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

It really is a hard decision! Looks like I am leaning toward an RO/DI unit though. My puffers have survived 2 years without a skimmer :eek: bad I know...but after research, I have found that it would help me out a lot!

Plus I live in an apartment and it will save many trips up and down stairs with all that water haha.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

6. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

wait wait wait 2 have 2 puffers and the tank is still cycaling

7. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

huh? I know the tank is still cycling. Got a week or so left. The fish have not been added yet!

8. Click Here!

9. ccopelin

ccopelin Plankton

I would recommend any aqua c skimmer to someone new to the hobby. RO units are nice in the long run, but for now most meijer, walmart, or and large grocery store will have a jug filling station where you can fill a 1~6 gallon jug. When you have more for a RO/DI, you can get a nice one at a lowes home depot,or menards. Dont overpay for a hobby specific one. They are the same thing =/