Which to buy first?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by allenmay8, Jan 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

OK so my tank is in the process of cycling and after doing some research here on this very fine website I learned that I am in need of two important pieces of equipment:

1. Ro/Di System

2. Skimmer

I have ~$200 to spend at the moment on either product. Next month I will be able to buy the other. I have 2 Green Spotted puffers so I know the skimmer will be handy, however having proper water is crucial and for some reason I do not trust my sketchy LFS with supplying me water all the time. Any thoughts on which I could get by with for a month.

I feel like I have rushed into my tank a little, but it is about a week away from being done cycled so I have some time before I move the fish.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Have you just started your cycling process? Personally, if I were starting over I would get the RODI unit, use if for top-offs until the cycle is over, then get the skimmer & lights when the cycle is done.

4. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I would say Protein Skimmer! The RO/DI is just something that you can have but is not nessary for a reef. If your water evaporates extreamly fast then maybe i would go that rout but Protein Skimmers are a nessity, RO/DI systems are add ons. Don't get me wrong, they are awesome to use but i would go PS first!

5. allenmay8

allenmay8 Fire Worm

well it will be a FOWLR tank, no corals. Puffers think they are tasty haha
    tank is only 30 gallons so I won't be going through as much water i suppose.

Also, my tank has been cycling for 2.5 weeks

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

I lol'd pretty hard when I read this. Not trying to sound rude but Ro/di is very crucial for a successful reef. Take it from me; without RO/di water you will have algae in all colors of the rainbow, including red, green, and brown. Until I used ro/di water the tank looks so ugly and after scraping so much algae it looked like vomit when it reached the sponge in my filter.

7. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

He's using RO/DI water from the store so there is no algae to scrape off. As long as he is not using tap it's fine. :eek:

8. Click Here!

9. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Good come back...

But yeah, I would say skimmer also, you can look into buying the RO/DI later since your buying from the store and most people whho sell it its not that expensive.

10. kv2wr1

kv2wr1 Astrea Snail

I would get a skimmer first since you said that you can get an RO/DI next month.

11. 206-REEFER

206-REEFER Astrea Snail

I agree with above, i found out the hard way how fast gha can grow. Been doing allot of water changes lately now that i have an ro/di. Hoping to have my tank back and be able to see my rocks again lol. Good luck with your system.

Edit: but if you are using ro/di water from the store already then yah on the skimmer.

12. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

One more month of water from the store for top off is no biggie. Skimmer first IMO!