Which test kits

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by gkw, Apr 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I am going to order some test kits (salifert) from saltwater.com soon and was wondering what should I be getting except calcium? They will be for a reef with mainly soft corals and a few hard corals. I currently have pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Also, I am on a budget, so, is salifert recommended for testing all elements/substances? or I can save some money on redsea or something?

Thanks!
    GKW

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I wouldnt go with redsea to save money. Go with Seachem. Most of there tests a good and accurate and cheaper than Salifert. When i have the bucks i get salifert if not seachem. I dont even bother with the rest.

Marc.

4. JAFO

JAFO Astrea Snail

If it was me, and it's what I do, I would use the redsea Ca test. Easy and not expensive. For DK use the tropic marin. Both of these are under $10 each. The other items I test for is Mag and for the life I me I cant remember the brand I use. What ever it is I know it's a simple test.

People will argue that you need an exact reading, I don't. If you Ca is around 450 it does not really matter if it's 452, 448 or anything close. Around 450 is good enough.

Like I said, this is what I do and I have my own track record and it works for me. Your tank do what you want. Also try www.petsolutions.com or www.thatpetplace.com for test kits, foods, etc.

Enjoy.

5. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

i would order aquarium pharm calcium last long always accurate and works fantastic white to pink to blue easy to read great, ph works OK and nitrate and nitrite are very accurate also. CHEAP AND GOOD.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i usually use the aquarium pharmicuticles also they are easy to use and seem pretty acurate sometimes ill have the lfg test the water and they usually match my test

7. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals as well. I am gradually trying to get all of the basic Salifert tests--just as a back-up. I am finding that if you can get all of your tests in liquid forms---it is much cheaper. You have a tendency to get A LOT more tests for your money than using the dip sticks. I started out with the dip sticks because I thought the liquid tests would be too confusing--but experience has helped me out on that one.

Anne

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

I've used Aquarium Pharmaceuticals' master test kit with my freshwater tanks and I'm not using their saltwater master kit on my new 20H reef. The tests are easy to do and the results are generally easy to read.
    So folks think that SeaChem is a good Ca test for newbies on budgets? I've heard good things about Salifert, but then I saw their prices........

10. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Yeah, Salifert can be expensive. I will probably get AP too, since I am already using the marine master kit. The only thing so far I don't like is pH kit, is that purple, purple, or purple? :) I might be color purple blind. lol

11. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

LOL...I've been feeling the same way about the Nitrates...is that REALLY the shade of yellow that means I'm in the clear?