Which t5ho bulb is better?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by xmetalfan99, Aug 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I am deciding on my bulb combo. I will be purchasing 3 ATi Blue+, 2 ATi True Actinic, and two 14k bulbs that have not been selected yet.

I cannot decide between the KZ new gen 14k or the UVL 75/25. I want a nice blue look and most white bulbs are hazy and drown out the colors of the corals. I don't care about a slower growth rate. Which would you suggest.

2. Click Here!

3. knighttime991

knighttime991 Astrea Snail

giesemann over everything

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I would do 2 ATi Blue Plus 2 Aqua Blue Specials, and if you want more of a blue look do 2 ATi purple plus. Im sure many others will say the same as well. ;D I used this combo and seen great growth and never had issues.

Actually ATi's have better par ratings by far over Giesemann ill look to see if i can find the comparison.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Get the KZ the 75/25 is pinkish/purple.

How many bulbs does your fixture use? I would suggest using 1 ATI Aquablue Special in your mix. It is a 12000K bulb and yes it is white but with the rest of the bulbs it should not cause you problems.

6. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The fixture holds 6 bulbs. I will be buying 7 to try different combos out. I like the ati aquablue specials, but I feel they are hazy and drown coral colors out to much.

first combo Front to back
    ati true actinic
    ati blue plus
    kz 14k 2nd gen
    ati blue plus
    kz 14k 2nd gen
    ati true actinic

2nd combo front to back
    ati true actinic
    ati blue plus
    kz 14k 2nd gen
    ati blue plus
    ati blue plus
    ati true actinic

I love the blue look and don't mind having slower growth for the look I want. I am hoping that the 1st combo will do what I want that way I will not be sacrificing most growth. I currently run only 2 white bulbs (ati aquablue specials) and am not happy with how much they drown out the color. The fiji purple and ati purple plus are pink bulbs and will not help the tank with the blue look. I feel that they don't do much for my coral coloration at all.

A friend of mine highly recommends the kz 14k 2nd gen for a white bulb because it does not drown the colors out as much. However, the UVL 75/25 has an estimated kelvin of 14k. So I decided to ask about the uvl bulb as well. I am not a fan of the geisemann bulbs. To low of a par for me.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Two out of 6 they will drown out. Look into a Purple Plus and an Aquablue Special. The purple Plus will not add any white but will perk up your pinks, reds and purples. Place the Purple Plus before the Aquablue to keep it from being so obvious.

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Do you think i should try the following combo?

Front to back

ATI True Actinic
    ATI Blue Plus
    ATI purple plus or KZ fiji purple
    ATI Aquablue special or KZ 14k new gen
    ATI Blue Plus
    ATI True actinic

Which bulb is a better purple ATI or KZ? I have been using the KZ but if the two bulbs are the same I will save my $8 and buy the ati purple plus.

BTW, I have an SPS tank with lots of clams and a good bit of LPS.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

See the red inside.