which skimmer

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by cmac, Aug 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cmac

cmac Plankton

Hi everyone, I have a 24 gal aquapod and I think Im gonna need a protien skimmer.. Does anyone have a similar setup? And if so which type of skimmer do yall recommend? I would really like one that will fit into the compartment in the back of the tank.. any help would be much appreciated...Thanks in advance...Chad

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. spiralout

spiralout Astrea Snail

i haven't yet attempted this, but i think you'll be hard-pressed to find one small enough to fit in the back there. there's a thread somewhere on here about plumbing a sump into the preexisting cavities of a built-in filter. the sump brings so many advantages, including the possibility of a refugium, that i think that's the route i would focus on. more work for more enjoyment!

karma cake for you

spiral

4. ericd

ericd Astrea Snail

I have an ap 24 also and I can tall you what not to get- the current fission skimmer fits nicely in the filter box but doesn't skim at all.

Oceanic Bio-cube makes a small air driven skimmer that will fit and there is another skimmer I saw on nanotuners called a sapphire skimmer that is supposed to be the best for nano tanks but they are hard to find.

Here's a link to a presell for the sapphire
    http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=377

Hopefully someone has some exp. with this skimmer. I was thinking of getting one but is a little too expensive for me to be the guinea pig on.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  5. cmac

cmac Plankton

Thanks Eric,, I think I found the one that I am gonna get Tunze 9002,,, It fits in the compartments in back of the tank.. Although it is about 150 bucks,, maybe next paycheck. lol.. There is one problem,, the round cup on the Tunze is an issue with the hood opening and closing. Thanks again

Chad

6. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

the tunze is a great little skimmer! I used one on my 30 gallon finnex cube when i was keeping dwarf cuttlefish. It was able to handle the massive amounts of live foods i was feeding the cuttles on a daily basis! As you mentioned you will not be able to open and close the hood so you may have to upgrade the lights as well
    I have the little oceanic airstone driven skimmer and it is not very effective to say the least! So i would opt for the tunze over the oceanic nano skimmer.