Which Skimmer

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Jul 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Hey Everyone, I'm New To Sw And I Need A Hob Skimmer For My 55g Tank. I Have A Few In Mind But Need Some Help In Which Is The Best.

Aqua C Remora
    Excalibur
    Coralife Super Skimmer
    Cpr Bak Pak

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I had the Remora. I found it very easy to use although not the most powerful skimmer I've had. I currently use the Aqua Medic Turboflotor multi. It's a great HOB but it does take up a lot of space, especially if you use the bubble reducer.

Some people have posted here that they liked the Coralife. Although one had a pump crap out. Out of your list, I might lean towards the coralife as I think as a needlewheel, it will pull out more junk than the Remora.

4. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Get the remora and upgrade to the Rio 1400+ pump at 425 gph over the maxijet 1200 at 296 gph. The turbo floater is probably the best of the lot especially if you plan on upgrading to a larger tank in the future. The remora skimmer is low maintenance with no adjustments needed. You just have to keep it clean.

5. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

thanks

thank you for your recommendations. appreciate the help.

6. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I also say go with the Remora. Should you get a bigger tank you could also get a fuge with the remora in it and replace the pump then with a larger magdrive 5. Seems that the skimmer is built very solid and will handle just about anything you push through it.