Which Skimmer Do You Use And How Much Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by mscottring, May 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

So I have an AquaC EV-180, which according to the manual for best performance the foam tower and collection cup should be cleaned, "at least twice a week". So I'm just wondering how this compares to some of the other skimmers out there.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I have the same skimmer and I do not clean the collection cup that often at all I am running the collection container that they make for it ( 2.5 liter WORTH EVERY PENNY BTW) and I empty that every 2 weeks and every few months I take my collection cup off and clean the tower out etc. I am very pleased with how it works one important thing to clean every couple months is the pre-filter on your Mag 7 pump that feeds the skimmer when that starts to clog up you will notice decreased performance.

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

corallife 125 super skimmer. i clean the collection cup once a week. and maintenance , clogged air line or dirty impellor , when needed

5. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Am I supposed to EVER clean my skimmer? Maybe thats what that greenish brown in the bottom of the stand is. hmmmm :)

Clean it when it gets dirty and needs to be cleaned.

6. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

I think the foam tower may be the source of some stink.

7. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

8. Click Here!

9. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Yes sir it will :) When it stinks, clean it after sniffing it at least six times to make sure the skimmer is what stinks. ;D;D;D;D;D

10. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

Very impressive, won't fit in my sump area though. I'm putting something on my christmas list. What I have seems to put more junk on the walls of the foam tower than in the collection cup. I tell Aquac about it and they say, "that's normal". I say, "that's bull".

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I use an old style E.T.S.S. 600XR. I have a DIY overflow so the skimmate collects in there. I don't clean it at all. I haven't touched it in months. It just keeps on pluggin' along. I should replace the tubing though. Thanks for the reminder. K+

12. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

the walls on mine get nasy to but when you remove the cup the neck comes with it for an easy clean.
    [​IMG]
    This is what it looks like at about 1/2 week.

[​IMG]