Which size heater

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by tsouth, Oct 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tsouth

tsouth Astrea Snail

Quick question before I make a purchase. What size heater do I purchase if I plan on putting the heater in the sump? Do I purchase a heater with 150 watts for my 55 gallon for a 50 watt heater for my 10 gallon sump?

2. Click Here!

3. David Renke

David Renke Plankton

You would need a 150 watt heater for the display capacity and a 50 watt heater for the sump capacity, i would use a 200 watt heater.

1 person likes this.
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

When you get...make sure it is the titanium type.

1 person likes this.
  5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i got the 200watt.if you get titanium,don't get the finnex titanium.i bought 2 and both died right after the 6 month warranty expired.

1 person likes this.
  6. tsouth

tsouth Astrea Snail

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

i have 3 Finexx without any problems. But...

I would actually get 2 100W heaters instead of one 200W. That way in failure states your issues aren't as deadly

J

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

very good advice,also if you get to big of a heater then it will heat up faster and the heater will be clicking on and off all the time which will lead to it going bad faster.eventually it could get stuck either in the on or off position. so i would'nt go over 200 watts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2007
  10. tsouth

tsouth Astrea Snail

Thanks guys. I went ahead and purchased an Jager 150 for the time being. I put it in my wet dry and now I'm having problems regulating my tank temperature. My tank rarely goes below 81 degrees and hits about 82 during the day with the lights on. I'm thinking I need a cooling fan in my canopy yeah? Also what is a good temp setting for my heater to keep it from staying on and off