Which Red Slimer Remover for Cyno?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ccscscpc, Jan 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I have cyno in my tank for the last month or so and have tried everything possible to get rid of it.

My tank is mostly SPS.

I have next to 0 phosphates, I feed only 3x's a week, do routine water changes, run carbon and BRS GFO in 2 TLF reactors.
    I also have RowaPhos in a bag in the sump along with SeaChem Purigen.
    I've added 2 more Koralia 1400's.
    I've lowered my lighting cycles.

The red slime is not going away. and I think I want to give the Red Slimer remover a try here as a last resort.

What is the best one out there to get to eradicate the red cyno.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am sure that outer will say that they are OK but I used one once and had major problems. You have done everything by the book from the looks of it but I did not see an age on you bulbs, allot of the time it can be cause by old bulbs.

This was the case in my tank. I had 2 bulbs out of 8 that were really old and started having issues. Replace these two bulbs and problems stopped.

4. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I used chemi-clean before I knew much about reef keeping and I had no problems. No sps in the tank at the time.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am sure you have done your research. I will only add that it would have to be the very last intervention I tried after months and months of having cyanobacteria before I added any of the products to a tank dominated by sps. I do not like what I have seen when people I know used said products in sps tanks.

Please let us know what you use and how it turns out.

Good luck I am sure you will win the battle against it eventually, under most conditions it just has to run it course for awhile.

:)

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I used chemi clean and it wiped the cyano in like a day. My tank is mostly sps and had no ill effects. The only problem I had was the skimmer acting up for the follow like 2 weeks. Like you had tried everything to no avail. Used the chemi clean cyano was gone and never came back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I know, I have been very hesitant to use it or any chemicals in my tank.
    My bulbs are all within 6 months old so its not that either.

I am wondering if there is another alternative....I wish something ate it like the emerald crabs eat the GHA.

Here is a recent pic of my tank....as you can see I have a bit of SPS in there and my first priority is protecting that.

I will get some pics....the upload keeps failing.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Files might be to big.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

If you don't mind me asking what kinds of bulbs and what brand.

REALLY, REALLY NICE TANK!

To be completely honest with you I would stay away from any of the chemicals for slime algae, like Corailline says I have seen what happens to people that have used them in a SPS tank and its was not pretty! I really would hate to see you have the same problems that some of those people had with that beautiful tank, That is a ton of sps!

I would continue with manual removal, changing the flow to a more direct flow on the area that has it and the SeaChem Purigen or maybe try Chemipure, although your already using both of the main ingredients that make up chemipure, Carbon and GFO.

Also you can link to the pictures you have on your Photobucket account buy simply copying the IMG Code in the box on the right like this, for future referance. I like it better than uploading becasue you get a real picture on some little thumbnail that you have to click on although you can still click on the picture and get a bigger picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  12. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Thanks....its been so long since I posted pics up here. I think the last time I posted I had like 2 frags in there....now its a huge frag tank :)