WHich pumps to use for corals ?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by saltwaterexotics, Jun 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltwaterexotics

saltwaterexotics Plankton

Can seem to figure out of find any info on which to use MP 10's or Mp 40's I have a 60 gal and two 24"cubes x 12" tall looking for pumps for all was thinking mp10 for small tanks but how do you figure

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

They are very controllable so yes the MP10's should work just fine on your smaller systems and an MP40 for your 60.;)

4. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

or dare I say you could get Jebaos and save a pocketful of money ;)

incidentally I sold my mp40's after buying these....

5. Vinnyboombatz

I don't recommend Jebao's. They have an awfull track record and people are already reporting issues with them.

6. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

No complaints from me yet maybe i am lucky ;)

DSC reef likes this.
  7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I think most people are pretty happy with their vortechs. Just realize there is a trade off of price/wires in tank/noise/broad flow/resale value/programmability/replacement parts.
    I recently plugged up one of my old Koralia 6 pumps. The silence and amount of water it moved was really nice. But in the end I really do not like the wires. It junks up my display(and they're huge). I also really like the random chaotic programming.. especially night mode. I think corals and fish need to rest at night from the high flow of an SPS tank.
    Just realize these pumps are not silent. I bought my Mp40s used for a steep discount ..they're probably years old and still run like new. I figure if something goes wrong they sell parts so I'll just take my chances. You can get an MP10wes used for $170 shipped.
    Also sometimes I wonder if people that are most vocal about the noise figured out the proper position of the dry side. Mine needs to have the wire at the 2 oclock position. It took me a while to find the sweet spot.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I too use the WP without issue as do countless locals and fish stores. If you can afford, or should I say choose to afford an MP, then by all means, go for it. However, for $60, the WP was a more economical choice for me. Any equipment is subject to failure. There are countless threads on faulty MPs as well. You just have to make certain that you purchase through a US company with a warranty (Reef Breeders for example).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    DSC reef likes this.
  10. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Well put. I have had mp 10's. mp40s Tunze Korallia and now the WP's. I have bought new and used and In all fairness none have ever failed or broken down unlike the 17 xbox 360's we had from day of launch until we got the xbox one, unlike a friend of mine who only ever bought one xbox and it lasted him 7 years...... funny these things ;)

I would say, if I still lived in the States I probably would more likely buy American if my wallet permitted though which certainly throws a different angle on the subject :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    DSC reef likes this.
  11. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Its a very valid point but in the UK the mp40 is £360 ($612) and the the wp40 is £50 ($90) like I said I have had no issues and even thinking of getting the new wireless ones, everyone to their own though. Best thing of living in the free world, we get to choose :)

DSC reef and Av8Bluewater like this.
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Sorry to the O.P. for the hijack!!!I have deleted some posts in an attempt to restore order.lol