Which pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Dsilowka3, Nov 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

Ok, so im wondering what pump would be best. it will need to push the water back up 4'3" from the sump, excluding any 90's or 45"s along the way.

-Eheim universal hobby pump. Model 1250. output GPH:320. Max. Head: 6.5'.

-Mag Drive Water pump. Model 7. Max Head: 12.6', GPH at 6' head is 375.

Also my overflow drain will is 3/4"

Based on calculations for the Eheim at 320 ill need to build a 5.13" linear overflow and a 0.74" Drain pipe diameter. pretty close to what i have now.

for the eheim ill need to build a 6" linear overflow and a 0.80" drain pipe. a little off from my current drain.

Would this little bit make a diff? ill have a ball valve on the return pipe, so i guess i can always adjust the flow to make it work. right?

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What kind of GPH do you have going to your sump?

4. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

I'm not sure. I have a 3/4" drain at the bottom of my tank with a derso style standpipe 1". how do I figure out the gph on my drain?

5. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

320gph isn't much at all, what size tank is this?

6. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

Its a 55 gallon. im upgrading my 30 to this and i want to use my 30 as my sump. the tank is older and i bought it used and so it was pre-drilled.

Should i upgrade the pump? maybe to the mag drive 9 and if its to much return i can always cut it back?

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

well you need to figure out how much water is flowing into the sump in order to find the right pump to pump the same amount back so nothing overflows.

I would overcompensate, so incase you have too much going out than going in, you can dial back the pump with a valve. easier said that done though...good luck!!

8. Click Here!

9. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

I've got a mag 9.5 and I like it, that sucker moves alot of water. With a 55 gallon tank I'd put a ball valve on the return side so you can dial it back if needed. Also, if you can avoid using 90's on your pipes it will help with flow. 1 90 restricts it more than 2 45's would or you could go with a flexible pvc type pipe, available at most home improvement stores in the plumbing section. It comes on a roll and you buy it by the foot.

10. Dsilowka3

Dsilowka3 Fire Worm

how do i figure out the amount of flow draining from my tank? Are there any set guidelines to the amount of flow? or will i have to let it fill the sump while timing it and do the math to get gph?

thats why im thinking the 9.5. At 6' it moves 700gph. w/o any 90's or 45's it will have to travel about 4.5 feet up. from what ive read each 90 is like adding another foot. the most direct route to where i want to position the returns will require 3 90's. So i guess with the 9.5 that'll put me ~500-550gph. Id like to avoid flex pipe if possible. it will be plumbed with 3/4" pipe and reduced to two 1/2" loc-lines. id also like to hope that the returns will have enough flow to at least cut back my number of powerheads to 1 or maybe 2 which will be on the opposite side of tank from the returns. Basically im just looking for anyone elses exp. with pumps since this is my first sump. anyone with a similar setup as the one im going for? or even just a 55 gallon w. sump id like to know what pump is used, # of 90's, 45's, distance traveled etc.