Which pump for your ATO do you use?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Jake, Feb 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I've been using a Tunze Osmolator, which has been a problem-free ATO system, but now I will be replacing it so I can just use my controller.

I'm undecided on which pump to use. I've heard a lot of people use Aqualift pumps, but I would prefer something that can pump a little farther. So, which pump do you use for ATO?

Some pumps I've considered:

Eheim compact pump 600 (160 GPH)
    Maxijet 400 (110 GPH)

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would go with the Eheim for their awesome workmanship over the Maxijet. I think either would be fine. I use a Laguna PT8105 that pumps 120gph.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Thanks for the advice, I was leaning towards the Eheim.

Anyone else? I'm interested in what type of pump everyone is using.

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I use a aqualifter and it pulls water from about 4ft away then pumps it another 2ft to the sump. Works perfect on my 65g.

6. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

Rio Hyperflow 4HF with resticted flow is what I use. It has ran dry several times on me and keeps on running with no problems. Aquacave has them for 22 bucks not bad for a tough little pump.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

When you say "pump a little farther" exactly what do you mean? If its additional head then you may want to look into a peristaltic pump which pumps slower but many can handle up to 45 psi or 100+ feet of head easily anddo not require check valves in the line since the rollers act as a check.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

sicce mi mouse.... its sitting in kalk, and its the longest lasting pump i have ever had sitting in kalk water.

10. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Peristaltic pumps are quite a bit more expensive than a regular submersible pump for ATO (100 gph). I have a GHL dosing module, but don't want to "waste" it on ATO since the pumps are $100 each. I'd rather use it for adding chemicals with precision.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I love my peristaltic pump ATO system. It adds an additional level of safety since I can set the pumping rate to where the sump could not possibly overflow and flood even if it stuck on for some reason.
    ULTRA PRECISE LEVEL CONTROLLER

and its on sale:
    Untitled Document