Which overflow box and return pump to use?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tundraburg, Dec 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Well I got my uncle a bigger tank than what he had, a 55 gallon. We are goung to make a sump for it from a 20 gallon tank or a 20 gallon long, do not know yet. I wanted to know how many gallons per hour(GPH) should the overflow box be(500,600,700...) Once that is stablished I would like to know how many GPH should the return pumpfrom the sump be. I was thinking of a Mag 7(700 gph) or a mag 9.5 (950). Any ideas and thoughts would be much appreciated.

This tank will have some soft and maybe lps.

TIA

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

I would get a standard lifereef and the mag9.5. Pretty much any mag from 5-9.5 would be good. If you want to push the overflow to its highest potential of flow then the 9.5 would be your best bet.

1 person likes this.
  4. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

1 person likes this.
  5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

The more flow the better. As long as your fish don't get cought in a whirlpool. But i run 900 gph pump on my 75 and does great. It pushes up about 4 feet so it probably only pushes around 800gph.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Thanks everyone for the input. I was originally thinking of going with that overflow box you posted fritts and maybe a mag 7. Karma to all. Thanks.

7. JohnFritts

Just a heads up, if you order it from aquatraders (i'm a huge fan of them) shipping is a bit slow. So don't order it needing it in 2 days cause it will show up in about 5. ;)

Also, the box is not dark like that.. mine was clear.

-fritts

8. Click Here!

9. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

John do you recall how much shipping was??? Cause I can get it on ebay(the same one for $50 shipped)

10. JohnFritts

Shipping & Handling: $16.90
    Tax: $0.00
    Order Total: $46.80

11. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

What would bea good glue/adhesive to use to glue acrylic to glass for the sump/refugium???

12. JohnFritts

It's not suggested to "glue" acrylic to glass because of component issues and weight and then glues not sticking..

HOWEVER.....
    I used a GE sealant made specifically for acrylic to glass. I don't remember the name but remember it was in a red tube and sold by the acrylic area of my lowes.

Don't do it, unless your willing to spend the time understanding what is taking place. There is still a failure rate for glass to plastic sealant and thats specifically why i have my setup running outside for a few days to test it before putting it into production.

goodluck!
    -fritts

1 person likes this.