Which optics are right for me?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jeffers0n, Dec 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

So I'm making a DIY led and t5 light ficture for my 16 gallon mixed reef tank. I can't decide what degree optics i should use. The ficture is goin to be from right on the acrylic top of my tank or 8" off if i make a canopy like Mr. Saltwater Tank's. The ficture is goin to have 16 leds on it(4 royal blues 4 blues 8 cool whites. Should i get different optics for the royal blues, blues, and whites?) All leds, heatsinks, controllers, and optics are being bought from rapidled.com. Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'd just email them with what you're plans are! They're good about getting back with ya! Give em a day or so!

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

On a 16g tank, you shouldn't need optics, unless you hang the fixture high. If you do hang them 8" over the water, then you could go with 80 deg optics. At 8" above the water, without optics you'd be covering an area of about 27" already, so, you would be losing a lot of light over the sides. If the light is less than 3-6" or so over the water, I probably wouldn't use optics at all.