which one?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by ermano, Mar 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I've come down to 2 different lighting fixtures that I can't decide between. I've asked my lfs on which one, along with a couple friends who have salt water tanks...so I would like to have a 4th opinion and see what you guys think! :)

SunPod 1x150 14K HQI-MW

or

Nova Extreme Pro 6x39watt T5HO

I was wondering, does the 14K bulb compensate for the 3 actinic lights present in the nova extreme pro...and I know that it's a frequently asked question, but what types of coral would be able to live underneath those lights? (SPS, LPS)

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Is this for your 29 gal tank? Well if this helps, I have a 4x54w T-5 Fixture over my 55 and SPS grow great.

1 person likes this.
  4. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Yeah, it's for my 29 gallon. You think I'd be alright with 6x39? or is that overkill. Theres another one that I've looked at, and It's a 4x39...would this suffice?

I'd like to avoid the whole heat thing with metal halides, so I think I'll go with the t5's.

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

IMO, it all depends on what you want to have as corals. You can never go wrong with MH. And as for the "heat", if place a fan to blow across the surface of the water, you should be just fine. Sometimes the heat generated by the MH can elimate the need of a heater. Just a thought. Luna