Which of the three will provide the proper lighting?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by SyntheticBreed, Sep 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

This is my first time really buying lights for an aquarium, so I'm pretty new at this and could use some help with buying lights for my 55g system. on the following website Innovative Marine SkkyeLight SingleStrip LED Light: LED Aquarium Light Fixtures which of the following (10,000*k, 14,000*k, and 456nm Actinic) is the best and which would be required for a tank that will hold a clam?

Thank you!

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

none of them, unfortunately not enough light on any of them

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

If you also want corals,or in other words are intending this to be a reef tank,it would be good to do alot of reading in the lighting section of the forum.There are so many options it's hard to suggest just one.If you really want a fish only tank then adding a clam is an exspensive proposition due to the lighting they need.

6. SyntheticBreed

How about for a fish only tank? Would any of those lights I posted work?

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

fish only would be fine with those, but a clam wouldnt be able to be kept in the tank.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. SyntheticBreed

Ill just hold off for the clam, shouldnt really be introducing a clam into a new system anyway - ill hold off until I save up for the proper lighting. Thank you.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

to give you an idea on the output on these lights...my LFS has the 16g innovative marine set up as a display and they have 2 of these fixtures on it........and the have zoas and polyps only in it. The mushrooms are reaching for the light.

Look at maybe doing a 4-6 bulb T5HO. Cheaper then LEDS and can do a lot of coral

11. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

+1,good suggestion,would give you the option of adding some of the easier to keep corals

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Here is another option for you that is similarly priced (for the 48" length) and will actually be able to support softies and probably LPS.

Amazon.com: Aqua Pro 60W (20x3W) CREE LED Aquarium Reef Tank Coral Light White/Blue Aluminum: Pet Supplies

I actually have this on my 55 and like it for what it is. Decent coverage throughout the tank (especially from one fixture) and my Zoa's are doing just fine with them. Plus, separate power cords for daylights and actinics. No dimming though, but none is really needed anyways.

1 person likes this.