Which nozzle on return?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by crustytheclown, May 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

I cant figure out which nozzle i like better on my return pump. I had a wide flare nozzle on it for a while;D. Loved the way it constantly agitated the waters surface right under the K-2 Viper 150w MH i put on my tank. This gave a consistent shimmer to my tank. Than i just recently got a Hydor Rotating nozzle which deflects the return flow in different directions around the aquarium. This is nice and is probably a benefit to most corals because it keeps the motion constantly changing. What i dont like is that alot of the shimmer is lost because 75% of the rotation is pointed away from the surface and into the tank. I have 2 Vortech MP10s in my 40gal breeder, that are synced up, so i think i get enough varying flow patters. I think with those wave makers (vortechs) this nozzle is more of a visual appearance option at this point, rather than a flow option. I also know that constant surface agitation increase PH as well:-/ Im just trying to figure out which nozzle i want to use? If anyone wants to throw some personal experience with either nozzle my way, that'd be cool.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Surface agitation specifically aids in gas exchange (release of carbon dioxide and addition of oxygen to tank – yes, decreased CO2 does raise your PH) which of course is more important than the shimmer effect, luckily in this case you get the two together. Given your situation I would say the benefits of the exchange and the shimmer out weigh the flow as you have Mp10’s and if needed you can simply add one more. So I would vote for the surface agitation as it seems to have benefits that outweigh the other.

4. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

I like to use the round nozzles for returns. It gives good surface agitation as well as less concentrated current.

5. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

Word! Yeah thats what i was thinking. The rotating nozzle is cool but i think the constant surface agitation is more important. I also have other tanks i can add the rotating nozzle to at some point;D