Which med?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PackLeader, May 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Unfortunately, my move I had to do with my 40 has created a cycle. Which in turn has caused some stress and ich. Right now my baby hippo and male clown have come down with it. Surprisingly, the male clown seems to be much worse off. Now, I am a firm believer in the "good water and food" practice, but because of the cycle, I can't guarantee good water, so have decided on setting up my HT.
    So what I really need to know from you guys, is what do you think will be more affective: a mela****e green based med or a copper based med?

EDIT: OK, that's weird, apparently thats a no-no word? The filtered part is melac h i t e (remove spaces).

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Just PMed you. I would try copper first. MG is really harsh. Great med, but very harsh. Sometimes it will kill the fish right along with the Ich. Depends on how weak the livestock is. Sounds like your hippo would survive the MG fine. I would use copper with the clown. If you want to treat both at once, copper would be my choice.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If they are eating why stress them more with chasing and removing them I'd just let them be as long as they are eating they will slough it off if its true ich.

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I agree with Tangster. If the fish is looking bad, but acting fine--actions speak louder than words. Perhaps it would be more stress on the fish to attempt capture than to let it run its course.

Give it 8 hours and see what the fish looks like. By then, it'll be dark, and capture should be a cinch if necessary.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Clown is not eating, hiding breathing hard. Main reason why I am doing this, along with the mini-cycle from the move causing some not so good params.
    Hippo seems OK. Is eating at least, but is doing the usual rock scratching and visiting the shrimp constantly. I figured if I had to go in and catch fish, might as well get them both since they are both afflicted.
    So do you recommend just getting the clown to the HT?

7. ReefSparky

If you're confident that a cycle caused this--why not hit the tank with some bacteria preparation? I don't recall the names. Is Cycle one of them? That'll get the ammonia down faster than doing nothing. Perhaps getting ammonia down would be comparable to placing the fish in a quarantine tank.

I don't think the clown would take a downturn in response to your trying to get him out as much as would the tang.

This is a tough call--sorry. :(

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I'm fairly confident it has caused it. Last week I had to completely tear down the tank and move it to make room for my 200. I did my best to not disturb the sandbed, but it still looks like I had a mini-cycle. Params have always been at 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Today I have .1 ammonia, slightly detectable nitrites, and about 15 nitrates, so I am sure it was from the move. I figure it was caused by both the stress of the move and the mini-cycle.
    I may just try a water change and see how it is tonight/in the morning. Leave the HT set-up if needed.

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

mela****e
    sorry had to try it. all **** means is like little girl or something i think
    trying them out lol

hope your fish get better. copper is the way to go with ich if you have a qt.

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yeah I have the QT all set-up and ready to go now. I may wait till tonight to see how they look after doing a WC in the main tank.

12. ReefSparky

Good luck.

1 person likes this.