Which lps corals can handle high light?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Dfost115, Oct 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dfost115

Dfost115 Astrea Snail

I built my rockwork very high so that i could keep a mixed reef. I no longer plan on getting a lot of acropora, so i have some space to fill at the top of my tank. I found that my torches like high light and i have read that goniopora does too. In your experience, what other lps corals are able to tolerate a lot of light? Lighting is ecotech radions.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

what kind of par are you talking about? I find that torches would get burnt to a crisp in my Acro regions of my mixed reef.

4. Dfost115

Dfost115 Astrea Snail

Thats weird, mine has been doing great at the top.
    The radions are completely adjustable. I think they are about 300-350 par at 100%, but they go up to that intensity for a short period and then gradually ramp back down.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hydnophora.
    Scroll
    Looks for those LPS that do not have the large polyp heads, but rather smoother skins and small polyps.

6. Dfost115

Dfost115 Astrea Snail

Cool thanks. How about chalices? Ive read mixed opinions on how much light they need.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Acan are a meaty type that can eat a bunch of light too.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

If I had to give a rule on chalice.. I would say they would prefer no light to high light. But every coral is different and I have had chalice that I had to hide under ledges and ones that could stand some decent par levels.

10. sqwat

sqwat Plankton

Most lps can take high lights if slowly aclimated to them.most torches frogspawn anchors not bubbles need to be slowly aclimated.chalices.not brains acans and blastos if slowly aclomated.galaxi