Which Lights? (t5)

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by LCP136, Jan 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I am looking at 6x54 watt t5 fixtures for my 90 reef. I have heard that Tek, Nova, and Retro make good lights. Is Retro good? I would like to get these because they are cheaper, but if they are low quality than I will surpass them. Which fixture should I go with?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

well a retro kit can be just as good or better depending on the parts you retro fit and what bulbs you use. If you arent all that handy with electronics or just in general you may be better off going with a factory built fixture....Personally i run a 8 bulb tek light that i rewired a bit and i love it!

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The Tek is a far better system and use UVL lamps check out the sponsors pages here .

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

When you say retro do you mean a retro fit kit? Retro fit kits only include the ballast, end caps and wiring harness. You can attach them to your hood. They are not enclosed in a case of any sort. Tek are very good fixtures, I have a Nova extreme and like it. If possible, I would suggest an 8 bulb set up on a 90. Particularly if its deeper. But it's up to you and what you want to keep.

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Will a 6 bulb fixture be limiting? I want to be able to grow Acropora and Montipora. I have a 6x54 watt tek that is 47 inches long and 15 1/4 inches wide for 300 dollars. The problem is that it doesn't come with the legs so that would be another 70 dollars unless its possible to mount it without the legs. The bulbs are about 2 months old.

Oh, and this is the retrofit I was referring to.

http://buildyouraquarium.com/catalo...d=177&osCsid=63c7460ffddc0954e0db6abb5589d185

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  7. That Guy

if you have the tek light than id get some uvl lamps and either the legs or the suspension kit and go with that...

8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Oh, and maybe a clam one day when my coral beauty is gone. But I'm not sure if this would need more light. I mostly want to grow SPS like Acropora and Montipora

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

uvl lamps? I'm not very well educated in lighting.

11. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

If you want to grow montipora and acropora I would got with the 8 bulb fixture. Acropora in particular require a lot of light and so do clams. You don't want to regret this later on. UVL bulbs are just a brand. I have them and like them a lot. They are very good bulbs.

12. That Guy

UV lighting Co. if you go to the sponsers page you can get prices on these lamps. They are the best T5 lamps on the market for SW reef applications as far as i am concerned. I use them on my own tanks as well as clients tanks...the corals colors and over health under these lamps speaks for itself!