which lights are right for me?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by SWED120, Mar 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

so i have had the t5 H.O. lunar lighting system in mind for awhile. after reading about them and hearing what people have to say. i am not sure anymore if that is they way i should go. i am assembling a 40 gal reef tank and i want to have no restrictions on what i can and cant grow.
    any and all suggestions please. (if you are recomending a certian style if possible provide where to purchase.)

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

MH or LED. IMO, LED.

4. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

LED's are probably the way to go. They are cheaper to run than MH, and put off way less heat as well. Plus there are no bulb replacement costs. Check out reefbreeders controllable series, or if you want to build them yourself look at rapidLED. The reefbreeders are about 320-40

5. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

now with LEDs i have heard that you cant get the same depth of light in the water as you can with MH and T5s. also with MH can you get the differnt colors like T5s or LEDs.

6. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

With a concentrated lens you can get nearly any practical depth.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

With the right amount of bulbs any system will take care of your needs. A 4 bulb T5HO system will be more than sufficient to grow any coral. 90 degree optics on an LED fixture should also be more than sufficient to grow any coral.

8. Click Here!

9. SWED120

SWED120 Plankton

awsome that really helps. i am now looking around to find what will fit my style and needs the best.
    thanks for all the help.