Which lighting should I get?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by suprachick, Sep 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. suprachick

suprachick Plankton

I am setting up a 29 gal tank that is 30". I know that my options of 30" may be limited, should I just get a 24" or maybe a 36" light fixture?

My goal is mostly fish but some corals here and there. I'll probably get soft corals and lps (particularly a frogspawn). I would also like an anemone but do not have to have it. I am not looking to spend much and trying to spend the minimum for lighting.

The options that I saw but not solid yet are:

30 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 2x24 watt T5 HO
    30 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 2x24 watt T5 HO 10K/460nm, 30in Units > 30in Units

I would like to just get away with one of the Nova Extreme 2x24 but if I get two would it be the same but cheaper than the 30" Current Usa Sundial 4x24w? 30 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x24W w/ Timers & LED, 30in Units > 30in Units

What corals can I get with 1 - 2x24w versus getting 2 - 2x24w?

Also, there is the Aquatraders. They have the 30" PC but I figured the T5 Ho would be better. I read some bad reviews about the lights (Odyssea) but it seems to revolve more around the MH. So, I was thinking of the 36" T5 Ho 156w from aquatraders. Does anybody have any comments about this light and no what kind of corals can I get with this light?
    Aquarium Lightings - T5 Lighting and T6 Lighting

Will there be problems getting light fixtures longer than the tank itself beside looks?

TIA for the help

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Howdy! and welcome to 3Reef

I don't think 24 X 2w's of T-5s is going to be enough for a 29g tank if the tank is tall
    now I would think that 2 of those fixtures might allow you to keep any coral that you want, the question is how wide is it? T-5 fixtures are extremely narrow there for you might can go with the 2 instead of just the one with four tubes in it

4. Brendan275

Brendan275 Astrea Snail

How much are you willing to spend?

"I would like to just get away with one of the Nova Extreme 2x24 but if I get two would it be the same but cheaper than the 30" Current Usa Sundial 4x24w? 30 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x24W w/ Timers & LED, 30in Units > 30in Units"

if you could afford it I would go with the 4 24w t5 light fixture

5. locod

locod Flamingo Tongue

the sundial would be your better bet. and you would set more light out of the sundial than you would using 2 or the nova extremes. the sundial has better reflectors in it than the nova extreme does