Which light to get?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by jtr38230, Dec 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

T5 HO is the way to go, but oddysea fixtures don't perform well compared to other brands, probably do to a crappy ballast.

2. Click Here!

3. jtr38230

jtr38230 Skunk Shrimp

Well its got to be better than what i'm using now (t8 42 inch 2 bulb fixture) My friend has a oddysea fixture and his corals and fish are doing great. He changed the bulbs tho.

4. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I'd recommend getting 1 ati true actinic, blue plus or purple plus in each hood. The other bulb I'd pic mostly for viewing color, but try to make sure it has some value to it. I'm running 2 hoods with 2x 36w each (so 4x 36w total) on a 36Lx15Wx17 and I've had no problems keeping coral in it. I have some sps that are doing great in there and I need to replace the bulbs. I agree that the odyssea lights are not as good as a lot of others, but you get what you pay for and they are cheep so what do you expect. I'll get you a pic in the morning, so you can take a look at the colors I have with off the bulbs I have in it.

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I have a 24 Odyssea fixture and love it, t5 is one of the best ways to go imo, as far as the fixture goes you do get what you pay for but why spend 200 one one light when 100 works i would change the bulbs but the fixture is really not that bad.